Monday, August 9, 2010

Journal 6: On the bus, Poland

Barracks #5 “Material Proof of Crimes”


The road from Kielce to Lodz is the road

from Rochester to Logansport.

Behind a fence a woman on a hot day steps out of her home

in shorts and a bathing suit top to pick up a toy and

rush back in to answer the phone.

A satellite dish on the roof collects what she needs to know

And shoves it through a tube to the front room.


Lodz..pre-war Jewish population of around 180,000…fewer than 900 survived

It’s not so far away..as close as my eyes, my nose, my ears….as real as that


Do we know that this means?

Do we think we know that this means?

Where does this end?


Do we know that this means?


-space-

and

-silence-


Palpable and mute - as a globed fruit - a poem should not mean but be


My heart stops to breathe

Squirming under glass – I have looked through my window – I

have touched the glass

You look through the window at me looking through the window… I touch the glass

No comments:

Post a Comment