Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Warsaw

Tonight we're in Warsaw, Poland. It was a day on the bus, good because I have a blister on my foot. I completed the Wannsee video on the bus.

Yesterday we visited the Bergen-Belsen concentration camp, about four hours west of Berlin. In addition to touring the grounds and a commemorative museum, we met with German teachers from the Bergen-Belsen area in small groups. I was very impressed with the sincere effort Germans are making to honestly and straightforwardly deal with their past. These weren't bureaucrats or functionaries, they were teachers like us. I saw some social studies textbooks for high school students that go into great depth about the Holocaust and connect that history to social issues in contemporary German society.

Tomorrow we visit the area of the Warsaw Ghetto and attend a Chopin concert.

No comments:

Post a Comment